Monday, September 16, 2013

Because straight is the gate and narrow is the way

I'm an American. Everyone I know is American.  All I know is American- the culture, the laws, the social dynamics, everything.  So when my husband jokingly tossed out some carefree comment of moving to the Bahamas while we were enjoying its pristine beaches one spring I smiled, but secretly it terrified me.  After all America is the country of all countries.  Living anywhere else would just feel wrong. Their laws would be wrong, their system of government would be wrong, their culture and values would all feel wrong.  Besides if I ever gave up my citizenship I would be denying myself and my future posterity the great blessings that can only come to US citizens...forever!

I'm also a member of the dominant religion of my community- at least I was until I stopped attending church two years ago and then recently moved out of state.  But for most of my life my religion was as much a part of me as my citizenship, if not more. Everyone I knew was a member. My mother's ancestors were there at its foundation and my father's parents had left their homelands and families to join the church as converts. It was part of who I was was. My genealogy, my culture, my social life, everything.  So when on occasion I visited other churches, I couldn't help but feel it was wrong. Even during the times I was actively rebelling and seeking a new church to attend none of them seemed right. They talked funny, or had a weird schedule, they smiled too much, they didn't smile enough.  They used the wrong scriptures, they repeated the wrong creed, something if not everything about their church was wrong. I had been raised to believe that there was only one path to God- through my church and if I ever left my church I would be denying myself and my future posterity the great blessings that can only come to members...forever!

So part of my journey here is to learn to let go of fear and to be more open to different religious cultures and beliefs. I plan to read various spiritual books and visit several different churches in my community.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment