Friday, September 20, 2013

If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you.

So the key aspect of my journey is choice and accountability- meaning that I am now actively making my own choices and not waiting for someone else to tell me what I should be doing and how I should be doing it.  And while that may seem quite liberating, accountability is only a step behind.  See when you cave to someonelse's influence or ideals whether good or bad, it is really impossible to take full credit for the results.  This really comes in handy when you fail, because their is someone else to point the finger at.  When your paving your own path, however, the outcome is laid at your feet.  This isn't altogether bad, but it can certainly be intimidating.

For me, part of being accountable is acknowledging that I have gained 45lbs since high school.  Yes, I can't believe that I am publicly posting this, but for anyone who has seen me in recent years its no secret.  I could blame it on my three pregnancies- but truth be told I weigh more now than I ever did at nine months with any of them.  I could blame it on my rare form of muscular dystrophy that has progressed significantly the past few years, but my facebook forum for LGMD shows others that have managed to keep the weight off.  No, if I am going to start taking control over my life then that means I am going to have to be accountable about my weight and my overall health too.  So here is my plan-

1- This has got to be about lifestyle changes not some fad diet.  So stocking up on fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean meats is essential.

2- The minute I'm told I can't have something it becomes all I can think about.  So no eliminating carbs, snacks, or desserts.  Although hopefully if I'm filling up on #1 then I won't be craving #2 as much.

3- Healthy snacks have to be accessible.  As soon as I get home from the store I clean and prep a ton of veggies and fruits into easy to grab and eat pieces.

4-Tea.  Sorry, I'm not a coffee drinker, but I love love love tea.  And the great thing is it's ZERO calories!  So I usually drink hot green tea with breakfast and either water or iced tea at lunch.  In the evening after dinner about the time Jer is ready to make a plate of nachos or pop some popcorn, I have found drinking a mug of hot chamomile tea does wonders for avoiding late night munchies.  It also is very relaxing and helps me wind down.

5- Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.  I don't know who came up with this theory but they're a genius.  Seriously.  I am not really a breakfast kind of girl, but lately I have been forcing my self to have either oatmeal, or Cheerios, or whole wheat toast w/ eggs, or whole wheat bagel w/ cream cheese and jam.  I have this super crazy early in the morning when I get up with Oakley so he won't have to have breakfast alone.  The tea helps, it's a nice way to ease into eating that early.  Anyway, I have found that since I started doing this eating healthy the rest of the day has been much much easier.

6- Rewards.  So I have developed a reward system for myself based on hitting five and ten pound goals.  At 5, 15, 25, and 35 lbs lost I get to go buy a new outfit.  At the ten pound marks I get bigger rewards.  The first is going to be a total hair make over.  Feel free to send in suggestions. I started this last week and should hit my first 5lb goal sometime next week so I'll post a picture of my new outfit hopefully next Friday.

So, I doubt I will let you know what the number on the scale actually reads or be posting pictures of myself, but I will keep you posted with how things are going.  Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. I am currently taking a nutrition class so healthy eating is of interest to me right now and I have been trying to eat healthier too. Different things work for different people, but in my experience a food journal is the best way to be accountable - along with calorie counting based on calorie calculators such as http://caloriecount.about.com/tools/calories-goal
    Or
    http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html
    Combine that info with this - http://www.choosemyplate.gov/myplate/index.aspx
    So that you get all of the nutrients you need.
    Exercise is overrated for weight loss. It is important for health to do what you can, but I know lots of people who exercise a lot and they don't lose weight because they don't eat fewer calories per day. So don't worry about not being able to work out like you used to - it doesn't matter as much as people think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm using an app called My Fitness Pal for tracking calories. I like it because in addition to tracking your calories it gives you an estimate of how much you will weigh in five weeks if everyday had the same calorie intake as today. So when I'm debating whether or not to go for another slice of cake I can see the estimate for five weeks out. It's very motivational.

      Delete